编辑: 阿拉蕾 2019-07-15
外语系2014-2015年春季学期电台广播第

七、八周听力原文 Couch-potatoes have short lives 久坐不动势必短命 Lack of exercise could be causing as manydeaths around the world as smoking, according to an article in the sciencemagazine The Lancet.

As thousands of Olympic athletes prepareto push their bodies to the limit, most of us sit inactive for hours in front of a TVset. But the scientists say they are not suggesting difficult gym sessions. As Pamela Das from The Lancet puts it: It is not about running on a treadmill, whilst listening to your iPod. The aim is to encourage everyone to think about fitness and build physical activity into their daily lives, such as brisk walking, gardening or any energetic pursuit. Despite the familiarity of the message, one in three adults worldwide fails to do the recommended

150 minutes of moderate aerobic physical activity per week. So, rather than stressing the health benefits of a good workout, The Lancet researchers have decided to show the harm caused by inactivity. They estimate lack of exercise is responsible for about 5.3m deaths a year: about the same number as smoking. Sitting around doing nothing can lead to coronary heart disease, Type

2 diabetes, and breast and bowel cancers. The data might lack muscle as scientists have had to rely on questionnaires sent out to

122 countries in which people report their own levels of activity. It must also be difficult to separate the impact of obesity from the figures. But Dr I-Min Lee, from Harvard Medical School, says they were very cautious: Our estimates of ill-health from lack of physical activity are on the low side. The researchers say the problem of inactivity has reached pandemic levels, with far-reaching health and social consequences. They call for a radical re-think in how to deal with the issue. Glossary 词汇表 to push (their bodies) to the limit 把(身体)推到了极限 inactive 不活跃的 a gym session 一次健身课 a treadmill 一台跑步机 fitness 健身 physical activity 体力活动,锻炼 a brisk walk 快步行走 a pursuit 一个追求 familiarity 熟悉 moderate 温和的 健康益处 a workout 一次锻炼 coronary heart disease 冠心病 muscle (肌肉)此处指可信度 to rely on 依靠于 obesity 肥胖症 ill-health 不健康,身体不好 Cinema Etiquette 电影院礼仪 For me, one of the greatest pleasures in life is going to watch a great film - or movie - at the cinema. It'

s a chance for?escapism?- getting away from real life. There'

s nothing better than being engrossed in a story unless, of course, someone decides to spoil the moment. Whether at an?art house?cinema or a huge multiplex, someone usually decides to treat the auditorium like their own home! There is anetiquette?- or accepted way of behaving - at the cinema which some people don'

t seem to understand. To start with, some people always turn up late, causing you to rise from your seat to allow them to get past. Then, when you want to enjoy the digital projection and surround-sound effects, someone decides to?slurp?on their drink and munch?their popcorn. And my worst?bugbear?is people who decide to chat to their friends;

sometimes not even about the film. It'

s just?bad manners! I'

m not alone in this?rant. Simon Mayo, a film critic and radio presenter at the BBC, experienced a new low during a film screening. He says the woman in front of me gets the phone out …, and then has an app on her phone which turns her phone into a mirror. He goes on to say a friend then got her phone out and used the torch on it to allow her to do her make-up! He has helped to create a?code of conduct?for moviegoers - a list of rules on how people should behave at the cinema. One of them is to ban mobile phones, and another is not to take your shoes off - a very?serious offence! Of course, when we have paid for a ticket, we feel it is our right to relax and enjoy the film and in the way we want to, but we mustn'

下载(注:源文件不在本站服务器,都将跳转到源网站下载)
备用下载
发帖评论
相关话题
发布一个新话题